Sunday, September 2, 2012

Hello World!

As a 'computer person' I find it irresistible to begin any new document, project or snippet of code written with the above. It is ingrained into us early on in the examples and object lessons we use to learn from. As such, I find it oddly appropriate for this new space I am creating to host my more literary side. I'll keep personal or miscellaneous posts to the Drivel blog and put those things I find useful to myself, as a person-cursed-with-the-need-to-write, here. :-) I've entitled the blog in a way that describes my constant state of writing or wanting to write. I encourage you to look here often for those things I find useful to myself as I grow my craft. One never knows what there could be out there to help. Having said that, I mainly intend this as a repository for those things I find useful that I don't want to lose in the shuffle between computers, OS, etc. If anyone else ever reads it or not doesn't bother me in the slightest and will, therefore, set the tone of this space as a conversation with myself.

And now for a little bit about me and my scribbling for any that find themselves here by accident or on purpose:

I've been writing for a long time now. There are many things I have done that no longer exist or have been misplaced along the way. I have a messy nature, so I fully expect that to continue for better or worse. My desire to create fictional stories began over twenty years ago. (Gosh, now that I think about it, it is more along the lines of thirty!) I wrote disjointed things that made me laugh or made me think or excited my imagination. I turned in papers in school about things that I wished had happened or had been based on events that had happened, just not in the ways I described. When I reached my teenage years, I threw away or lost a large body of immature work since I was convinced that it would never be of use to me. If I had only known then what I know now. I find myself reusing what I can remember of those stories in the short pieces I write these days. One of the items has turned in to a book length manuscript that is over 60K words in its rough form. I wrote a follow on for it that is roughly the same length. I fully expect that I will complete a first edit before the end of the year that may see that number increase as I flesh out plot and subplot as well as clear up some inconsistency in what I threw on the page. Time will tell. I think it worth saying that I have changed my ways and have been saving the little snippets I create these days. These items encompass the spectrum from song lyrics to full books and everything in between. It seems my writing demon knows no bounds.

Several friends have been interested in my work and continue to provide feedback on my endeavors. One recently asked me if there was any plan to publish, since the normal goal of a writer is to see their work in print. I think that there will be in the future, but I have no current plan to do so. The major works that I have been working on for the last few years will be multi-book series and I have never enjoyed following some author's work only to have the tone or the story change drastically in the middle as a result of their ongoing work in a series. This isn't to say I didn't continue to enjoy the work or that I even stopped reading as a result. It is simply that, these books are the favorites of my writing life. As such, I want them to be consistent and complete before I ever begin working to publish them to the wider world. I know that is incompatible with economics and the sheer amount of time I have spent on them, but (regarding this story line) it is the way I want it to work. I already have several other book manuscripts that threaten to continue in subsequent books. Those I won't have a problem writing as they go. I just have a quirk when it comes to what I have been calling 'Project Angela'.

By way of apology for the lengthy rambling above, and to kick this first post off with some useful information, I shall end with some links to pages I have been reading this morning.

ta

~JFo

http://www.copyright.gov/
http://janefriedman.com/2012/08/17/copyright-is-not-a-verb/
http://janefriedman.com/2012/06/15/trademark-is-not-a-verb-guidelines-from-a-trademark-lawyer/
http://killzoneauthors.blogspot.com/2012/08/how-to-write-novella.html

No comments:

Post a Comment